Monday, April 18, 2011

Sketchbook Project: Part 1

I had the opportunity to view the traveling tour of the Sketchbook Project 2011 when it stopped in Washington, DC this weekend. There were close to 10,000 books(!) so I barely scratched the surface. It was great fun to see my book tucked in there with all the others.
All the sketchbooks were organized on carts that were kept behind a barrier. You were able to check out 2 at a time ... you can see why I barely scratched the surface!
These are spreads from Pam Garrison's beautiful book! I could have looked at it for hours! There were books from at least 40 countries ...
All books had a theme ... this one was "Lines and Grids"...
"Raining Cats and Dogs"
More dogs ...
I forget this one's theme, but love the elegant simplicity and use of white space.
Tomorrow, if I may be so bold, I will post photos of my book ...

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to go!! Mine was there also, but being 3 hours away- and it was raining cats and dogs here, my road flooded out, and it was just not the day for travel.
    When the tour goes to SF, I will have my son go with a list of artists I "know" and take pix of the books! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous opportunity!!! Wish the exhibit were around longer!!! Love Pam's work as well!!!! I must force myself to draw and doodle more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it fun to see everyone checking out the books and enjoying them? I got to see them in Austin in March. Such an amazing feeling to see someone else looking at your work and liking it! I got to 'hang over the shoulder' of someone else who wound up with my book - they seemed to be enjoying the goofy mixed media stuff. Loved to be a part of this project! Can't wait to see pics of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the photos! My sketchbook is in there somewhere! Think I will sign up for the next one too!

    Jackie
    www.lettersandjournals.com

    ReplyDelete