Sunday, June 14, 2015

Ideas are like a monster from Greek mythology

I have ideas. Lots of them. When I get an idea, it often spurs a couple more ideas, which in turn generate even more ideas. You see where I'm going? I realized that my ideas are like the Hydra from Greek mythology. This monster possessed many heads, and for each head that was cut off, it grew two more, until there were so many heads that one would stand there, paralyzed with fear.  (You may remember that scene from Disney's Hercules)

I find standing in front of the idea-generating monster can be just as paralyzing. Where should I begin? Which ideas are the best? Which ideas can I weed out? Should I focus on one idea at a time, or take on a couple? How should I categorize them?

Compared to creative block, I realize this is a good problem to have. Still, I'm determined to tackle this issue. To this end, I've been writing down ideas as quickly as they come to me. Unfortunately, this means they are written on the backs of envelopes, in my journal, in an iPhone app and sometimes on the back of my hand -- not the most efficient system.


Photo credit: Elise Blaha Cripe
Today I ordered the GET TO WORK BOOK™, published by Elise Blaha Cripe from the Elise Gets Crafty podcast. According to Elise, "GET TO WORK BOOK™ is a daily planner and goal setting workbook designed to help you make progress on your big goals by taking things one day at a time." This girl gets me! You can get your copy of her book here and find out more about Elise here.

Keep watching as many exciting, inspiring ideas come to life this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment